Friday, April 26, 2013

Mexico and More

Mary and Martha
 "You cannot slay the enemy by throwing away your sword, and nearness to Christ is your battle-axe and weapons of war; you have lost your power when you have left your Lord. One thing is needful—let the rest go. What if we have not learning?—what if we have not eloquence? If we live near to Christ, we have something better than all these; if we abide in him, and he abides in us, we shall go and bring forth fruit, and our fruit shall remain; if he abides in us, we shall enjoy heaven on earth, and be daily preparing of that eternal heaven which is to be our portion. "One thing is needful." God grant it to every one of us!—Amen." -Charles Spurgeon

"It is the habit of listening to the Saviour and taking in from Him that quiet, and strength, and help, which is a power in any life. A quiet spirit with a very simple dinner will cheer the spirits, and help the appetites of, all who are present. A quiet and cheerful spirit with ever so bare and badly furnished a house, will make the visitor feel at home. “A heart at leisure from itself,” like the heart of Jesus, brings the atmosphere of heaven wheresoever it is found. “One thing is needful,”—it is to be one with Jesus under all circumstances; nothing else is absolutely necessary." -Mary Elizabeth Baxter
I came across these quotes while studying the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10. The story speaks of our need to be close to Christ- to not just work for Him and do the things we think He wants us to do- but to practice sitting in His presence, listening to His words, getting to know Him. 
I need this closeness with Him every day, as I have some big decisions to make right now. It is a time of great transition, since I finished the last requirements for my Master's in Occupational Therapy in March. My time as an intern at the nursing home was full of daily dependence on God for strength, and getting to walk alongside people in moments of pain and healing in their lives. After practicing faith each day in Uganda, God let me walk into the nursing home adventure confidently and full of His joy, even in the midst of much to learn and people hurting around me. I am so grateful for the time I was there. 
Mexico
From June 2-10, I am heading to Tapachula, Mexico (on the border of Guatemala) with a team of 11 from my church, Vintage Faith. We will be working at a children's refuge called Mision Mexico. This refuge is home to over 50 kids who have been abandoned or abused. Many have been street children at some point, reminding me of the kids I got to know in Uganda. Our team's focus is to serve the kids, the volunteer staff who often get burnt out, and the couple who runs the refuge. We will be doing projects that the refuge has asked us to do (painting, cleaning, cement work, etc.), and serving the volunteers (our leader has volunteered with Mision Mexico and knows ways to support the volunteers well, like leading after-school activities and serving early-morning breakfast). 
If you would like more information about the trip, please look at this email update that I send out each week to our supporters: Mexico Update Email
In the right upper corner of the email, you can find a place to "Subscribe" to the email updates (or just email me and I can add you). You also can look at the "Past Issues" we have sent out. 
We also have a Facebook Page where you can learn about the trip and how to support us financially (as a group or individually): Support Page. Please pray about supporting us in this way!
I would greatly appreciate your support in prayer as we prepare for this trip, and especially for team unity and that we would come with servant hearts and not any selfish ambitions (as Philippians 2:1-4 speaks of). 
Job Update!
As for other updates in my life, I was offered a job at a local school district to be their occupational therapist next year. This is a full-time position which starts in August, working with preschool through high school students with disabilities, and is an amazing first job. The special education department I get to work with is very encouraging and willing to work with me as I gain experience. 
This job is contingent on passing the giant NBCOT (national boards) test at the end of June. I walk forward into this position with open hands, doing my part in studying, and am trusting that God will keep this door open if it's the right fit for next year. I am praising Him that the interview went well last week, and I found out so quickly that it was a yes!






No comments:

Post a Comment